Even although LinkedIn has been round since 2003, the platform did not permit the usage of clickable hashtags till 2016.
Social media platforms like Twitter and Instagram have inspired hashtag use for years as a means for customers to attach with their communities. They even supply analytics, permitting content material creators and influencers to gauge their impression.
Now that LinkedIn has totally embraced the usage of hashtags, manufacturers can too.
Do hashtags work on LinkedIn?
Yes, hashtags do work on LinkedIn. You can add them to your standing replace, your printed article, and your corporation web page to succeed in an viewers past your community. You may flick through hashtag feeds to see what conversations are occurring surrounding these subjects.
Let's get into the fundamentals of utilizing hashtags on the platform and dive into methods to discover the highest trending ones in your business.
How To Use Hashtags on Your LinkedIn Status Update
There are just a few methods so as to add hashtags to your standing replace.
As the GIF illustrates, you'll be able to add a hashtag by:
- Typing out the pound signal adopted by the phrase or phrase. As you sort out your hashtag, LinkedIn will auto-generate hashtag solutions based mostly on what's trending and in style.
- Clicking on the "Add Hashtag" button positioned on the underside left of the field.
- Selecting one of many associated hashtags subsequent to the "Add Hashtag" button.
Pro-tip: Don't add areas or symbols in your hashtags, as they may not be clickable.
How To Use Hashtags on Your LinkedIn Article
As it at present stands, customers can not add clickable hashtags within the physique of their articles printed on LinkedIn. However, they'll make it discoverable by including hashtags to the article description field.
How To Use Hashtags on Your Business Page
If you will have a enterprise web page on LinkedIn, you'll be able to affiliate it with related hashtags. This will put you proper within the middle of conversations surrounding these hashtags and will let you join with related audiences. Here are the steps so as to add them:
Start on your corporation web page's homepage.
Click on the "Add" button on the underside proper below "Hashtags." A smaller web page will open up.
Click "Add a hashtag" and choose as much as three hashtags.
You're all set.
Should I exploit hashtags on LinkedIn?
The brief reply is sure, hashtags are an effective way to succeed in audiences past your direct connections on LinkedIn.
Benefits of Using LinkedIn Hashtags
Let's say you solely have 200 connections on LinkedIn. You publish an article on web optimization and do not use any hashtags. For it to make a considerable impression, you may want numerous publish engagement from second-and third-degree connections.
Why place such limits in your content material? By utilizing hashtags, you maximize your publish's attain potential. If the web optimization hashtag has 100,000K followers and you utilize it, your publish engagement can simply triple what it was with out hashtags.
Higher engagement can assist you identify credibility and may facilitate significant connections with different LinkedIn customers.
How many LinkedIn hashtags ought to I exploit?
While there is no such thing as a restrict on the variety of hashtags customers can add to their content material, LinkedIn recommends utilizing not more than three hashtags per publish.
Now that you understand why and methods to use LinkedIn hashtags, let's assessment some frequent hashtag errors you may need to avoid. Here are just a few suggestions to remember.
LinkedIn Hashtag Mistakes to Avoid
- Don't go overboard – As talked about above, LinkedIn's former senior director of product administration, Pete Davies, recommends sticking to a few hashtags. That needs to be sufficient to focus on the principle key phrases with out wanting spammy.
- Hashtags do not exchange copy – Hashtags do not present context, they need to solely be used to enhance your discoverability. You ought to nonetheless have descriptions in every thing you publish.
- Only utilizing in style hashtags – When you solely use in style hashtags, your content material can get misplaced. If you go too area of interest, you might not attain sufficient individuals. Using a mixture of area of interest and broad hashtags strikes the right stability.
Once you get snug with the usage of hashtags, you can begin figuring out which of them are performing the very best. You might discover that some result in greater engagement charges than others. If so, these are price reusing.
LinkedIn Trending Hashtags
LinkedIn launched knowledge on the highest trending hashtags for Q1 in 2020.
In January and February, the listing was just about an identical. However, conversations shifted in March when the pandemic began. Searches for subjects on distant working tripled and the #remotework hashtag additionally began trending.
The finest strategy to optimize your hashtag use is by referring to your really useful hashtags and analyzing their efficiency in your posts.
Where do I discover trending LinkedIn hashtags?
There are three varieties of hashtags that LinkedIn recommends to its customers based mostly on their community and business: really useful, in style, trending. LinkedIn's 'Discover More' web page is the primary – and finest – place to look when contemplating which hashtags to make use of in your posts.
To entry this web page, comply with these steps:
- Click on the "Discover More" button.
- On the cellular app, this can seem if you click on in your profile image on the highest left nook of the web page.
- On desktop view, it is going to be on the backside of the left sidebar.
- On this web page, you may see trending pages, really useful connections and pages, and hashtags towards the underside of the web page.
As a marketer, LinkedIn recommends me many marketing-related hashtags, akin to #digitalmarketing, #website positioning, and #contentwriter. However, this listing will differ from one person to the following.
How To Follow Hashtags on LinkedIn
Following hashtags will will let you see what different content material creators are posting, how customers are responding, and get concepts for future posts.
- Head to the search bar and sort the hashtag you need to comply with.
- Select an possibility from the dropdown menu.
- That will take you to the hashtag's feed the place you'll be able to see all content material printed with this hashtag. Click "Follow" on the prime of the web page.
See the GIF under to see the steps in motion.
Now that you just're following the hashtag, you may see it on the left sidebar below "Followed Hashtags" when navigating on a pc. When utilizing the LinkedIn cellular app, you'll be able to entry the hashtags you are following by clicking in your profile image on the highest left of the window and scrolling right down to the "Followed Hashtags" dropdown menu.
Hashtags are integral to the success of your content material. By counting on LinkedIn's hashtag suggestions and your analytics, you'll be able to guarantee your posts are reaching the fitting viewers.
Editor's word: This publish was initially printed in March 2021 and has been up to date for comprehensiveness.